What is the basic and advanced difference between Commonly Confused (Confusing) Words "Then and Than" with Exercise in Urdu / Hindi


Commonly Confused Words: Homophones
Then and Than?
متشابہ الفاظ: پھر اور بہ نسبت؟
What is the basic and advanced difference between Commonly Confused (Confusing) Words "Then and Than" with Exercise in Urdu / Hindi
What is the basic and advanced difference between Commonly Confused (Confusing) Words "Then and Than" with Exercise in Urdu / Hindi

Examples:
She is bigger then me.
I will come than.
I ate dinner, and then I cleaned up.
I have more money than my sister.
Than, I took the bus.
مثالیں:
وہ مجھ سے بڑی ہے۔
میں پھر آ جاؤں گا۔
میں نے رات کا کھانا کھایا اور پھر صفائی کی۔
میرے پاس میری بہن سے زیادہ پیسے ہیں۔
اس کے بعد میں نے بس پکڑی۔

Then
1.Then is an adverb that is used to refer to a particular time in the past or the future.
Example:

     I ate dinner, and then I cleaned up.

Than
1.Than is a preposition that is used to introduce the second part of a comparison.
Example:

     I have more money than my sister.

Then
2.“Then" usually comes at the beginning or the end of a sentence.
Example:
    Then, I took the bus.

     I will come then.

Than
2. "Than" doesn't come at the beginning of a sentence.
Example:
    Umar is better than Ali.

    He is intelligent than me.

Then
3.“Then" has to do with sequence. So, sequence means the order; first, then, finally.
Example:

    First I did this, then I did that, next I did this, finally I did that.

Than
3. "Than" is not used with sequence. It is usually used with the words:“more”and “less”.
Example:
   He is more beautiful than him.
   I have less friends than you.

Then
4.“Then" also has to do with time.
Example:

    Okay, I will be there then.

Than
4. "Than" has nothing to do with time. It can also be used with comparative adjectives such as smarter than etc.
Example:

   I would like to go rather than to stay.

Then
5.“Then" is also used with the expression: every now and then.
Example:

    Every now and then, I eat pizza.

Than
5. “Than” is used with an idiomatic phrase: better late than never.
Example:
     He bought a house when he was over sixty, but it was better late than never.


Exercise
01. I recall being in college; back ____ I used to run 5 miles a day.
A: than
B: then
02. If we take the back roads, ____ the trip may take twice as long.
A: than
B: then
03. I stopped at the store, ____ made my way over to the park.
A: than
B: then
04. No matter how old my son grows, his sister will always be older ____ him.
A: than
B: then
05. If you don't take your car for regular maintenance ____ you risk a serious problem down the road.
A: than
B: then
06. Isn't a trip to the museum more fun and educational ____ sitting around the house?
A: than
B: then
07. I've loved watching baseball longer ____ I can remember.
A: than
B: then
08. First a dying star collapses under its own gravity, ____ if it is large enough it becomes a black hole.
A: than
B: then
09. Tell me your test score, ___ I will tell you mine!
A: than
B: then
10. The weather was much better ___ I thought it would be.
A: than
B: then

Post a Comment

Copyright © Spoken English in Urdu. Designed by SEU